Monday, December 31, 2012

Best/Most Memorable Reads in 2012

I read just over 100 books this year (including rereads of the Hunger Games trilogy) and by and large, I was happy with my reading choices (see my list of books read in 2012). Here are some of the most memorable aspects of what I read:

Memorable Dystopian Moments
Thanks to two whole dystopian theme months, this was my most read genre. I already pointed out my top 5 2012 faves at The Book Smugglers (you'll have to go over there to see which I picked), but really most of my dystopian reads were awesome.

Memorable Debuts
My other big goal for the year was to read as many Apocalypsies' books as possible, and I read over 50. Check out my Debut Author Challenge list for the lowdown.

Most memorable first line
'I should probably start with the blood.' From Robin Wasserman's THE BOOK OF BLOOD AND SHADOW. And it only gets bloodier from there!

Most memorable first chapter
Nothing drew me in this year more than the beginning of TIME BETWEEN US by Tamara Ireland Stone. What a hook!

Most memorable laugh
REUNITED by Hilary Weisman Graham, for the squirrel scene alone. Also, MOTHERSHIP by Martin Leicht and Isla Neal for its dark humor throughout. Trevor's ever-changing shirt slogans were also great comic relief in TOUCHING THE SURFACE by Kimberly Sabatini.

Most memorable cry
The end of CODE NAME VERITY by Elizabeth Wein. Gutted.

Most dramatic character arcs
Sloane in THIS IS NOT A TEST by Courtney Summers. Elysia in BETA by Rachel Cohn.


Most memorable male leads
Jondoe in THUMPED by Megan McCafferty, Gyver in SEND ME A SIGN by Tiffany Schmidt, Julian in PANDEMONIUM by Lauren Oliver.


Most memorable couples
A and Rhiannon in EVERY DAY by David Levithan, Freya and Garren in YESTERDAY by CK Kelly Martin, Travis and Harper in SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL by Trish Dollar.

Most swoony kisses
Finn and Cate in the secret passageway in BORN WICKED by Jessica Spotswood, Noah and Echo in PUSHING THE LIMITS by Katie McGarry. Aria and Perry in UNDER THE NEVER SKY by Veronica Rossi. 

Most memorable supporting characters
Jane Fonda in THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST by Emily Danforth, pretty much all the characters in REMARKABLE by Lizzie K. Foley (the pirates, the dentist, grandpa, the brother ... oh just read it!), Zu in THE DARKEST MINDS by Alexandra Bracken.

Most memorable locations
Backpackers' Guatemala in WANDERLOVE by Kirsten Hubbard,  the Mexican coffee plantation in BECAUSE IT IS MY BLOOD by Gabrielle Zevin, the Pentagonal Spire in INSIGNIA by SJ Kincaid, Heart in INCARNATE by Jodi Meadows, the picnic table in ASK THE PASSENGERS by AS King.

Most memorable WTF
Umm... how about pretty much the whole of GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn? Other novels that brought the crazy this year (in a good way) were VELVETEEN by Daniel Marks, SHADOWS CAST BY STARS by Cat Knutsson, PURE by Julianna Baggott and HARBINGER by Sarah Wilson Etienne.

Most memorable animals
Hamloaf in THE CATASTROPHIC HISTORY OF YOU AND ME by Jess Rothenberg. The adorable toy poodle in CRACKED by KM Walton. Baruu in STORMDANCER by Jay Kristoff.

Most memorable outfit
The dresses in THE SELECTION by Kiera Cass.

Most memorable scene that gave me chills
Towards the end of THROUGH TO YOU by Emily Hainsworth - twisty twist!

Most memorable scene that gave me chills (in a good way)
The last scene of FRACTURE by Megan Miranda.

Most memorable scare
THE CAVENDISH HOME FOR BOYS AND GIRLS by Clare Legrand was the creepiest novel I read all year. I had to hide under the covers to read it!

Most memorable villain
The principal in THE SINISTER SWEETNESS OF SPLENDID ACADEMY by Nikki Loftin.

Most memorable cover




Lizzy Bromley wins again this year with her innovative design for Lisa Stasse's FORSAKEN.

Best dress on a cover




I need this red dress in my life. (EVERNEATH by Brodi Ashton)

Most memorable unexpected reveals
The twist at the end of STARTERS by Lissa Price which was also ewwwww. PARTIALS by Dan Wells also had some awesome reveals.

Most memorable backlist reads
I hardly read any backlist this year - shame on me!

Most time spent on describing mundane tasks
MONUMENT 14 by Emmy Laybourne - we know how they prepared every last meal.

Check out my memorable 2011 reads.

Tell me - what were some of your memorable reading moments in 2012?

10 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

That is ONE HOT DRESS! I'd wear it tonight for New Year's if I had it! I'm not the biggest YA reader, so I can't offer much intelligent comment, but I do agree that Code Name Verity was a book that really messed with my head.

Becca said...

I love this way of presenting your favorite reading moments from the year!

Kimberly F. said...

What a great way to review the year's reads! I read the "Most Swoony Kisses" headline and immediately thought of Aria and Perry...I'm glad it made your list.

Janita (Book, Interrupted) said...

Creepiest book I read . . . The Diviners. *shudder*
Love this list. Great idea for the last day of the year! Happy New Year's, btw!

Beth Kephart said...

Love this! Especially the best dress!

Meghan said...

I love this list! I've only read six (six? No, wait -- seven) of the books on it, but I TOTALLY agree with all your reactions (GAH, CODE NAME VERITY -- I'm still sobbing). I'll be adding the rest to my ever-growing TBR pile.

I also need that dress ...

molly wetta said...

This is a great way to remember the books that stood out over the year.

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I love how you categorized your list! I definitely agree with Gone Girl in the WTF category - and it does remind me I got to read Velveteen at some point!

Christina said...

I failed! I just couldn't do a wrap up post. There were TOO MANY CHOICES. I think this year, I need to make it up as I go along, because otherwise it's NOT happening.

Oooh, I loved the first line of The Book of Blood and Shadow. Good choice!

Alyce said...

I've been looking forward to Time Between Us and have had it on my wish list for a while. For some reason it didn't occur to me to put it on hold at the library until now. Sometimes common sense flees from me, so it's momentary return was a treat this morning. ;)