Monday, February 18, 2008

Semi ready for the Oscars

Daniel and I just got back from a free early screening of "No Country for Old Men". The funny thing is we didn't know it was free. I saw on the cinema website that there was a preview playing and when we showed up we were told that to attend, we had to have won tickets from Stern magazine, which we didn't. But they were nice enough to give us tickets that someone decided they didn't want. Free is always good!

Anyway, that means I have seen 4 of the 5 best picture nominees now after having seen "There will be Blood" last Thursday. The only one I haven't seen is "Juno" which won't come out here for another month.

I actually have a pretty good track record over the past 10 years when it comes to having actually seen the best picture nominees.
Let's take a look shall we?

1997 5-5
1998 3 1/2-5 (Saw half of The Thin Red Line and none of Life is Beautiful and do not plan to)
1999 5-5
2000 4-5 (Never saw Chocolat and won't go out of my way to do so)
2001 5-5
2002 5-5
2003 5-5
2004 5-5
2005 3-5 (never saw Munich or Good Night and Good Luck though I'd like to someday)
2006 3-5 (never saw The Queen or Letters to Iwa Jima and probably never will)

Not sure if I will get up in the middle of the night to watch it this year like I usually do or if I will try to record it on the Slingbox my dad has hooked up to his cable for me to access since last week. Such a cool thing - I can even watch Jeopardy from here! So far Daniel and I have watched two Lost episodes and I watched "Dreamgirls" on demand. Thanks dad!

3 comments:

Linda said...

You've sure seen a lot of Oscar-nominated movies! We hardly ever go to the movies anymore. Too many other things going on.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Yeah, Daniel always wants to go the movies so I try to make sure that the films we see are at least worth seeing!

Steve said...

Ha, you've done way better than me. I usually don't get around seeing Oscar movies for months after the awards and I think the ones you have NOT seen are the only ones I have, haha!

I've heard good things about Slingshot. Are you watching American Idol this year? Last night Randy said "skat" and Kelly and I were sad you weren't with us to enjoy it! There aren't very many good singers this year.